Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Special Ed and the arts

My name is Kendra Mills and I posted a response to the original blog Mary Lou set up a couple of weeks ago, so I am doing this backwards I think, but that is very much like me. I am so excited to see special educators taking this class. My school, Woodland Heights Elementary, has been involved with using drama as both a teaching tool and behavior management over the past year and found that drama is very effective with all students. I am a speech/language pathologist and have incorporated music in my therapy for a long time, but drama was a new tool in my box, but it has been fantastic! I was not sure how well it would work with our special education students, but as my pal Lisa Cureton and I have found, drama has been very rewarding for our special students. I can't wait to get new ideas from both the presenters and participants!

4 comments:

Jennifer Novak said...

Kendra, I am looking forward to working with you in this class-I know it will be a fun-filled week!!!
Jennifer

Sissy Carroll said...

My favorite art students are my special ed classes. I am looking for new ways to reach and teach them, as well as the rest of my students. With such varied backgrounds it should be a very interesting week.
Sissy

Marilyn Gramling said...

Dianne Mundo here ... In addition to my Spanish certification, I am also Speech Therapist ... my experience was in Puerto Rico before I came to South Carolina. DM

Valerie Satterfield said...

Kendra, I look forward to learning more about the ways Woodland Heights has successfully incorporated drama for a behavior management tool.